“Be responsive to your pastoral leaders. Listen to their counsel. They are alert to the condition of your lives and work under the strict supervision of God. Contribute to the joy of their leadership, not its drudgery. Why would you want to make things harder for them?” Hebrews 13:17 MSG
I wonder if I brought joy to the pastors I served when I was a staff member. I wonder if I am a joy to the Overseers and Elders who lead me now. I sure want to contribute to the joy of their leadership, not its drudgery. What can all of us do better to make sure we are more responsive to the leaders in our lives?
1. Pray for them always.
2. Find ways to shoulder the burden. What can I do to take stress off them? Is there something they are doing that I can do for them.
3. Show up on time. Their time is important and so is mine. Let’s honor each other’s time.
4. Only complain when we have some solutions to offer.
5. Give them grace when they do not recognize my good work. They will see my success in due time.
6. Give them sincere compliments when they do a good job. They probably feel overlooked sometimes, too.
7. Don’t listen to gossip about them. Spread good news about them. Brag on them and you won’t gossip about them.
8. Bring innovative ideas to the table. Share the burden for creativity and vision.
9. Finish the tasks assigned to you ahead of time. Never need a reminder about a deadline missed.
10. Ask for their counsel before you make a big decision. Your trust in their wisdom means a lot to them.